Tuesday, June 15, 2004

A Dream

Today is the 4th anniversary of my dad's passing. He passed away suddenly and though it shocked our family, I think he went the way he wanted to.

Just about a month or so before that, he had taken a trip to Japan with my mom. This was a trip he had been dreaming about for a long time. For awhile he had wanted to find his family in Japan and despite the wonders of modern technology (Internet), good old-fashioned detective work did the trick. My mom found a picture of my dad's cousin tucked away in some box and on the back was an address. He wrote a letter and received one in return from a cousin living at that address. Japan is probably one of the few countries where generations of families still live at the same place. After a couple more letters back and forth, my parents planned a trip to Japan.

I think my dad wanted to reconnect with his roots. My grandparents (his parents) came to Hawaii from Japan and was the first generation (Issei) hence making my dad the second generation (Nisei). This trip was his dream for a long time and during his eulogy, my brother said my dad was able to fulfill his dream. Not many people get to do the things they want to do during their life but at least my dad was able to do something important to him.

Namu Amida Butsu