Sunday, June 13, 2004

Envious

You called me from the beach and I could hear the surf in the background with the wind blowing. I could tell you were excited to be there. You've talked about going there ever since you found out you would be spending time close to it. Though I was excited for you, I was also envious. Envious that I am in the middle of the desert and in front of you was the vast Atlantic Ocean. I've never really been fond of the Atlantic since I grew up with the Pacific Ocean practically at my doorstep. But I was jealous because I haven't seen the ocean in a long time and I miss it. I miss the memories it evokes, the peace I feel being near it, the way it can clean the soul, and the fact that I can't be there to share it with you. I hope the next time you go, I will be there with you.