Saturday, June 19, 2004

Wish Lists in Life

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker who lamented that she is becoming too "married." While this isn't the word she used specifically, she described her life as being comfortable in being married, owning a home and having jobs. She said her husband is content to live that life while she doesn't mind living that life but strives to be different. I suppose part of her restlessness comes from the fact that she considers herself a staunch feminist and I think the fear of getting married, taking her husband's name and becoming the middle America dream would clash with those views. I guess sometimes we forget that we were individuals long before anything else came into our lives. I'm surprised that she, of all people that I know, would forget that. We've been talking a lot lately about our restlessness in our jobs and I think she was a little envious of the fact that I said I could just get up and leave anytime I wanted to. What I told her is that we should make our wish lists in life and that it's when we don't have one that we forget who we are. My wish list is never complete and never all checked off; it changes as my life changes. Many of the things she talks about doing is possible and just because she's married doesn't mean it can't be done. The first step is usually the hardest. I hope she takes that first step and realizes that her life isn't stagnant but just beginning; there's a lot of wishes left on her list.