Monday, January 31, 2005

The Ground Rules

So I'm not really a fan of Dr. Phil but in the February issue of O, The Oprah Magazine he wrote an excellent article called "Dr. Phil's Top Ten Ground Rules for Long-Term Loving." Admittedly, I have become a sucker for these articles since I will be getting married soon. Over the next couple weeks (before Valentine's Day), I will be discussing one or two of these a day or when I can get to them.

1) Know Yourself: Think about it. How can you love someone when you don't even know yourself? Dr. Phil says that in order to have your needs fulfilled (by your partner) you have to know what they are. So basically you need to know yourself and what those needs are. Makes sense to me.

2) Let Your Partner In: Basically this is all about trust and entrusting your deepest secrets with your partner. I agree with the good doc that this is the scariest and hardest thing to do. I'm not sure how people do it but I use this blog as a good start with my fiance. He (Dr. Phil) even suggests putting things down on paper but also cautions not to use this information against the other person. Good advice.

More tomorrow or so.