Monday, May 09, 2005

Celebrating Our Mothers

Over the weekend, the fiance and I went to visit his parents (they are driving distance unlike my mom) for Mother's Day. We got there on Saturday around lunch and after visiting for a bit, headed off to the mall. He got his hair cut and we did a little shopping (or nesting as I like to call it). We returned a wedding gift and got something for the house. Then we went to visit his friend who manages a jewelry store and within the span of a half an hour, I had bought his wedding ring. The rest of the day was spent walking around downtown near the university and seeing all these neat stores.

Sunday was entirely about mom. The fiance's brother and sister-in-law drove over so that we could all go out to lunch. As predicted by sis-in-law, there were a lot of people out for Mother's Day. The wait wasn't entirely too bad. The food and company made up for it. After spending some time hanging around the house, we all left to go home. On the drive home, I called my mom and she sounded very happy with the gifts she had received. Yes, it was all about the moms.

I must admit that I worry about my mom's feelings when it comes to these matters. I don't want her to feel left out or feel that I am choosing my future MIL (mother-in-law) over her. There is no choosing to do; we are all family now.

So begins my second full week here. I feel like I am getting my bearings down and feeling a little more comfortable making my way around here. It'll be an adventure for awhile.