Wednesday, June 22, 2005


To say that the last week was wonderful would be an understatement. It was simply fantastic! Out-of-this world amazing! We left for California the Saturday before last which was about a week before our wedding. We had some obligations before the wedding and we also had to take care of some wedding business. Our week went like this:

Arrived in LA Saturday (June 11) evening and after waiting for the bus from the car rental agency (note to self, use a major agency that doesn't stop running their busses after 7 p.m. making you have to call them for one), we got ourselves a PT Crusier. Negotiating the freeways and streets of LA in the evening in a car with no maplight (yes, no maplight in that rental) is not fun but we made it to our hotel tired and hungry. We ordered room service and promptly fell asleep. The next morning we attended church services at the church our marrying minister is at. He requested us to do so and we agreed without any hesitation. It was truly a wonderful Sunday service and his congregation was warm and welcoming to us. Then we drove over to my relatives where my mom was staying to visit with them a bit. That evening we had dinner together.

Monday morning our first wedding business task was to get our marriage license. If you ever want to marry in LA, it's pretty easy to obtain a license. You simply must fill out an application that doesn't ask you any complicated question, show a valid picture ID, pay $70, and wait approximately one hour. Once you verify they entered the information correct into the computer, you are asked to swear the information is true and just like that you can get married. No blood test required.

Since we were traveling to our wedding destination, we mailed a few wedding things to my aunt so that we didn't have to take as much with us on the airplane. We picked those up and worked on completing our wedding favors and such. Tuesday was my birthday and rather lowkey. But I was equally glad for that since I wanted to relax. We spent the morning at the Japanese American National Museum and the afternoon in Santa Monica. You gotta love LA with all its culture and diversity. Of course, the fiance (now hubby) gave me a sterling silver Tiffany heart ID tag bracelet. I had be wanting one for awhile. He said he'd like to add charms in the future with our children's names on them (heart melt commence).

Wednesday morning we met up with my future in-laws (now my in-laws officially) and the hubby's brother and sis-in-law to see the LaBrea Tar Pits. I had been there many times but none of his family had. They thoroughly enjoyed it and I always have. I would say the major pre-wedding activities didn't begin until that evening when we took our parents out to dinner so that they could meet for the first time. Everyone got along wonderfully.

Thursday was our rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. It was a nice way to relax and for everyone of meet together. At our dinner there was about 17 of us in the "Pope Room" at the Santa Monica Buca di Beppo. The service and food was just spectacular, and so was the conversations. It was the way I had hoped to spend the night before my wedding and I did.