Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Joys of Living in NC

So I finally got my social security card and went to register my car today. In and out within five minutes. I kid you not. Of course I still have to get my "safety check" which is required for all cars here where they check your headlights, brake lights, blinkers, etc. So instead of just a smog check like in Vegas, they actually check to see that your car has the proper working parts. I think that's really good considering that I used to do that in Hawaii. It really keeps you on your toes with the upkeep of your vehicle. However this beautiful story must have a dark and dreary side. After paying to register my car here which cost approximately $200, I still have to pay a county tax on it. Yep, I have to pay taxes on my car that I own to the county and it's not a one-time deal either. Apparently you have to pay property tax on your car like you would your home. Fortunately they have the decency not to charge you for that until about three months after you register your car. The decency really comes from the fact that the DMV must send the records of all registrations to the county tax assessors office and usually that takes approximately three months. I told the hubby today that I was moving back to LV. I guess it'll all come out even I think. I am paying less for car insurance here and the amount they tax me is probably what I was getting taxed anyways in LV except they did it through the DMV. As an update to the social security card fiasco, I got my official marriage license a couple of days after I visited the social security office to get a replacement social security card. This time I decided to just mail in the document with my app. to get a card in my married name. I'm sure the social security office is wondering what the heck I'm doing. I think the hubby was trying to be funny when he said I can get my driver's license in my married name once I get my new social security card. Knowing that I have to take a test to get this license doesn't make me want to run down there and I sweetly turned to him and said that my present driver's license doesn't expire for another two years...